Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Missing Bulletin Boards

Its beginning to feel like spring and today I am lamenting a practice I used to have in my face-2-face classroom.
Bulletin Boards
See bulletin boards were my way of getting my geek out informally.  I could build displays and showcase something that people would peruse at their leisure.  I could teach without teaching, create conversation without leading discussion, be artsy or creative or crazy.  I was getting my educational geek out.  

But I no longer have a bulletin board, I have course news.  Students have to make a conscious choice to look at the page, they don't just walk by.  I no longer get the satisfaction. I know that widgets and feeds are all the thing, but I still argue that the reader has to consciously look it isn't just there, part art - part function.

So can someone give me my bulletin boards back?


No comments:

Post a Comment