Monday, March 7, 2011

Where computer ends and mobile device begins

In the beginning there was the abacus (circa. 500 B.C.) now there is the android and the atrix.











Where does the computer begin and the mobile device begin?  when is it not the right plan for students to complete homework on?
Is it ok to dropbox from your xbox?
Is it a good idea to view video lecture on a blackberry?
does screen size matter when it comes to learning?


I have friends trying iPads who have been very disappointed when they found out that the software manufacturers consider it "not a computer" and so could not enjoy full functionality that they had with laptops.  Is it reasonable to tell a kid, that you wish them luck, but you cannot provide technical support when they try to use a device in an off label manner?

To me the answer is yes.  I want to be helpful and make you as comfortable as I can with using the course, but I wouldn't use an abacus to cook.  You may be able to do it, and good luck on figuring that out.  I would appreciate the information of how it was done.  But I don't think I can justify taking the time out of my day and away from teaching to trouble shoot the process for you.

So test away, beta test, and push the boundaries.  I applaud that.  But if you want to be sure you are successful and not constantly cutting your teeth on untried options, may I recommend the tried and true. (or at least tried and help available) technologies of the modern era.  A lightweight laptop (or notebook) OS of your choice is STILL the best bet for teachers and students alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment