Monday, January 31, 2011

Hmmm...I don't think so

Old habits are hard to break.
And parents and educators are amongst the biggest resistors to change.  During my weekly follow ups with students and parents this became awfully evident. 


Parent: When will my child get their book, they have been in the course a month already?

Me: As we discussed when I called before this course does not have a print textbook, the materials are all online.
Parent: So I have to order it online?  I thought I paid for the class already.
Me:. No ma'am, its online in the course, your daughter can read it on the screen or download and print it if she chooses
Parent: how can I get a copy?
Me: well she can save a copy for you too, if you want to have your own.
Parent: well that's different.
Me: yes, online textbooks are pretty convenient, better for the environment and they save on shipping or returning the book.
Parent: well I know education is costing lost of money and I have heard that you all don't have enough books for students.  Perhaps after I print my copy I should send it back to you so you have one
Me: Hmmm....That's sweet of you to offer, but I don't think so.  I have my online version too.
Parent: OK, you let me know if you change your mind.  I know teacher's don't make much and you probably can't afford your own.

Now wasn't that sweet?

No comments:

Post a Comment